From: Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot without space.
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 22:44:40
1 2007/6/21, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net>:
2 > Try using:
3 > du -xa /boot | sort -rn
4 > as root to locate the space hogs, which may be hidden files. (du does "lie"
5 > sometimes though, because the assumptions it makes about file size aren't
6 > always true.)
7
8 tux ric # du -xa /boot | sort -rn
9 7283 /boot
10 2935 /boot/gentoo-2.6.20
11 2903 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-gentoo-r7.old
12 993 /boot/System.map-2.6.20-gentoo-r7
13 345 /boot/grub
14 100 /boot/grub/stage2_eltorito
15 100 /boot/grub/stage2
16 56 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-gentoo-r7
17 44 /boot/config-2.6.20-gentoo-r7
18 36 /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
19 12 /boot/grub/xfs_stage1_5
20 12 /boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5
21 8 /boot/grub/vstafs_stage1_5
22 8 /boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5
23 8 /boot/grub/minix_stage1_5
24 8 /boot/grub/jfs_stage1_5
25 8 /boot/grub/iso9660_stage1_5
26 8 /boot/grub/ffs_stage1_5
27 8 /boot/grub/fat_stage1_5
28 8 /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5
29 4 /boot/grub/stage1
30 4 /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample
31 4 /boot/grub/grub.conf
32 4 /boot/grub/device.map
33 4 /boot/grub/default
34 0 /boot/vmlinuz
35 0 /boot/System.map
36 0 /boot/.keep
37 0 /boot/grub/menu.lst
38 0 /boot/config
39 0 /boot/boot
40
41 Ok, this shows me every file on /boot, only ~15Mb, which is more that
42 I had calculated before.
43
44 > You might also fire up filelight and/or the file size view of konqueror
45 > (either would also need to be as root) if you prefer a graphical view. (They
46 > will suffer from the same limitations as du, but their assumptions my be
47 > different.)
48
49 Almost the same with a graphical view.
50
51 > Oh, I'm not sure while filesystem you are using, but reiserfs reserves some
52 > space for the block usage bitmap and misc. metadata, and that takes up a
53 > number of MB.
54
55 You might be right, but still, we have found out that the files are
56 ~15Mb, if the partition has a size of 40Mb, is it possible that
57 reiserfs is using almost 25Mb for storing data?
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list