From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:11:59
1 On 14 September 2011, at 22:34, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > …
3 >> That's got nothing to do with it, and it's rude of you to make this
4 >> about Canek, IMO.
5 >
6 > Given how much Canek has been saying about free/open source recently, the
7 > attitudes he's been attributing to its developers (which don't accord
8 > with my experience of them), and the number of times he's told people,
9 > in a manner I find very rude, to "stop moaning and code it yourself" -
10 > given all of this, I find it reasonable to question Canek's background.
11 > I'm not the only one of us getting irritated by him.
12
13 Personally, I'm getting really irritated with all the people who expect someone else to fix their problems.
14
15 It's a fact of open-source software that you can write the dev a polite note saying "have you considered this approach?" and if you don't like the answer then you can code it yourself. Use BSD, write your own kernel, buy a copy of Windows - those are your other alternatives.
16
17 Bitching about the author on here, 100 posts of complaining, does naff all good. That doesn't solve the problem. The only people who are listening are your mates, who already agree with you. You're not trying to persuade anyone to your point of view in accusing the software authors of being stupid or short-sighted.
18
19 Yes, I *still* think it was rude of you to try to make this issue about Canek.
20
21 I don't know what "attitude" you think Canek is attributing to OSS developers, because what I'm mostly seeing is those on your side of the field accusing the udev devs of being "shallow" and "single-distro orientated". Of "not talking to anyone".
22
23 This is not about Canek. Or me. Or you. This is about udev, a piece of software.
24 If you don't like it, you have the source code.
25
26 I'm not going to respond in detail to the rest of your post.
27
28 It sounds like you have an excellent background to go fixing the problems.
29
30 If you've got questions for the udev authors, ask them, but they're probably not reading this list.
31
32 Note that you're not required to talk to anyone else before coding your solution. If people like it, they'll use it. If you go talking to other people first you'll probably get a thousand different answers and options and a thousand different people telling you to do it some other way. So it's probably better if you get your code into some kind of working state and just worry about it solving your problem.
33
34 Stroller.