From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:40:23
1 Hello Stroller.
2
3 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 04:04:29PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
4
5 > On 14 September 2011, at 11:25, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > > ...
7 > >> No, by "you know what needs to be done" I mean: code. Contribute.
8 > >> Become a developer. Make shit happens the way you think it should
9 > >> happen.
10
11 > >> Shut up and code. Google it, I didn't come with the phrase.
12
13 > > Just as a matter of interest, how much coding have you done for open
14 > > source or free software? It was conspicuously absent from the CV you
15 > > posted here a few days ago.
16
17 > That's got nothing to do with it, and it's rude of you to make this
18 > about Canek, IMO.
19
20 Given how much Canek has been saying about free/open source recently, the
21 attitudes he's been attributing to its developers (which don't accord
22 with my experience of them), and the number of times he's told people,
23 in a manner I find very rude, to "stop moaning and code it yourself" -
24 given all of this, I find it reasonable to question Canek's background.
25 I'm not the only one of us getting irritated by him.
26
27 I think the word you accidentally left out of your last sentence was
28 "insinuation". I hope, on reading this post of mine, you'll change your
29 attitude.
30
31 > It's YOU who wants things differently from the planned roadmap, so why
32 > shouldn't YOU code the features?
33
34 No reason whatsoever. Go back to the earlier posts in this thread, and
35 you'll see this is what I proposed doing, before somebody (I think it was
36 Michael) educated me on what the problem actually was.
37
38 > There have been a couple of posts in this thread, I don't recall who
39 > made them, who talked of the "1% of users forcing this change on the
40 > other 99%". This is an exceedingly disingenuous argument - it's the
41 > Gentoo users, the objectors, who are the 1%. 99% of users won't even
42 > notice this, because they're using binary distros.
43
44 I asked if the person causing us the grief had consulted the wider world
45 before making such far reaching changes. The answer to this question
46 was nobody's been able to find out. Of the people who care about things
47 like booting sequences, it would seem the vast majority don't like what's
48 happening.
49
50 > My inclination is to agree with you. I detest initramfs, but I don't
51 > significantly partition my disks, so I'm unaffected. But if you care
52 > you'd better stop whining and get coding.
53
54 > It's inexcusable of you to try and turn the problem around and question
55 > Canek's contributions to OSS if you're unprepared to make any yourself.
56
57 I've been contributing to Emacs in general and CC Mode in particular for
58 10 years. I've been the sole maintainer of CC Mode (the mode used for
59 coding in C, C++, Objective C, Java, Awk, and a couple of others, and an
60 unknown number of derived modes) for around 5 years. Over that time I've
61 spent thousands of hours on the project. My latest release was on
62 Monday, and you can find it at
63 <http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/release.php>. If you use {,X}Emacs to
64 hack in any these languages, I recommend you to download and install it.
65
66 Several or many of CC Mode's features have come about through request's
67 from users. They are gratefully received. Some requests, for features
68 which aren't really suitable for the mode, get answered by personal
69 patches to the requesters. Some requests get gently turned down. The
70 idea of slagging off users with "IMPLEMENT IT YOURSELF!!!" is completely
71 outside my experiece.
72
73 Normally I get credit and respect for this work.
74
75 > Stroller.
78 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).