From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 11:30:12
1 On Sunday, 4 August 2019 11:23:20 BST Kai Peter wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > now, upstream made the USE flag 'split-usr' global. This puts me a bit
5 > in a state of uncertainty :(.
6 >
7 > What is the reason or goal behind this change? I did read something
8 > about the flag itself but it wasn't really clear to me. What does this
9 > mean:
10 >
11 > "Enable behavior to support maintaining /bin and /lib separately from
12 > /usr/bin and /usr/lib"
13 >
14 > Maybe I have overseen some documentation?
15 >
16 > regards
17 > Kai
18
19 Have a look at this link, but there may be better explanations in the
20 interwebs:
21
22 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
23
24 Essentially the historical reasons for having a lot of separate directories/
25 fs/partitions/disks are becoming obsolete and many of them are due to merge,
26 changing the baselayout. I assume the move to profile 17.1 to deal with the
27 various /lib directories was the start.
30 Regards,
31
32 Mick