From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: iptables example on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:34:23
1 Holly Bostick <motub <at> planet.nl> writes:
4 > If you're trying to learn, James, there is something to be said for
5 > Dave's position; it's not as if the config files are going to disappear
6 > just because you used shorewall to write them with correct settings.
7
8 Following this example, I've had no problems, only it did not
9 include the DMZ portion of the example. I looked at Shorewall. No thanks.
10
11 > It might be easier to understand how iptables works if you configure it
12 > through a system that will do it properly, *then* look at the configured
13 > rules and work out why they work (as opposed to what your self-made
14 > rules do), rather than wait to have a working configuration until you've
15 > understood iptables (which is apparently not really easy for most
16 > everybody).
17
18 Hey, it took me quite a long time to digest OpenBSD +pf and other tools.
19 That's OK, even fantastic. It's what I want to do. Struggle, learn,
20 make little mods and test the results.....
21
22 If I need immediate coverage, I have a OpenBSD +pf box that is fantastic,
23 because I took the time to learn. If shorewall is so easy, then just email
24 to me the config files for a 3 nic network, with DMZ based web server,
25 and only internally (LAN) initiated connections allowed, in the form
26 of config files, OK?
27
28 I'm quite sure I'll master iptables/netfilter, the commnand line and
29 config file way.........the old fashion, hard-headed way.
30
31 YMMY
32
33 James