From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iptables example on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:02:59
1 Dave Nebinger schreef:
2 >> I've been trying to build a simple firewall with a DMZ for a web
3 >> server.
6 > Dude, trying to use iptables directly was your first mistake.
7 >
8 > Take a spin out and look at shorewall (I'm sure others have different
9 > recommendations).
10 >
11 > Shorewall will get you up and running in no time and will easily
12 > handle the configuration stuff from your original post.
13 >
14 > Trying to manage such a complex config using iptables directly is
15 > doomed to failure; any mistake in ordering of rules, etc., will break
16 > your connectivity. Sticking with a tool like shorewall will
17 > simplify rules maintenance and pose less of a problem when performing
18 > updates later on.
21 If you're trying to learn, James, there is something to be said for
22 Dave's position; it's not as if the config files are going to disappear
23 just because you used shorewall to write them with correct settings.
24
25 It might be easier to understand how iptables works if you configure it
26 through a system that will do it properly, *then* look at the configured
27 rules and work out why they work (as opposed to what your self-made
28 rules do), rather than wait to have a working configuration until you've
29 understood iptables (which is apparently not really easy for most
30 everybody).
31
32 Holly
33 --