From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables example on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:43:12
1 > I've been trying to build a simple firewall with a DMZ for a
2 > web server.
3
4 Dude, trying to use iptables directly was your first mistake.
5
6 Take a spin out and look at shorewall (I'm sure others have different
7 recommendations).
8
9 Shorewall will get you up and running in no time and will easily handle the
10 configuration stuff from your original post.
11
12 Trying to manage such a complex config using iptables directly is doomed to
13 failure; any mistake in ordering of rules, etc., will break your
14 connectivity. Sticking with a tool like shorewall will simplify rules
15 maintenance and pose less of a problem when performing updates later on.
16
17 Dave
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list