From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:09:32
1 On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:08:00 +0200, Eray Aslan wrote:
2
3 > > I didn't miss it. My question was how to you get the process to USE
4 > > the new file. Unless you SIGHUP the process, it will continue using
5 > > the config in pace when it started.
6 >
7 > Last sentence is correct. What you are missing is that the config says
8 > to start a new file each day/hour/etc. syslog-ng does not evaluate the
9 > file() expression once at startup and then treat it as a constant.
10
11 Ah, it makes sense now.
12
13 > > You wouldn't miss a log messsage by sending a SIGHUP to your mail
14 > > server, the logger would keep running.
15 >
16 > When syslog-ng cannot process messages for whatever reason, it will
17 > buffer them. When the buffer is full, it will drop the messages. There
18 > is no need to add to the load and increase message loss probability with
19 > SIGHUP (think of a central log server).
20
21 How does sending a SIGHUP to smtpd increase the load on the syslog server?
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Warp 5.. engage. No, no, Mr. Data, more clutch!