From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:39:32
1 On Sunday 30 October 2005 16:30, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > But since top-posters are too lazy to scroll to the end of a message, or
3 > trim the original before replying, I'm guessing they will be too lazy to
4 > follow the link and read the RFC. So I'll quote the relevant section here:
5 Personally, I prefer to top-post, but refrain in this context out of respect
6 for my fellow admins. However, I don't appreciate being called lazy. If you
7 lok up the word lazy, you will see connotations having to do with preferring
8 to do less work. You admit, then that top posting involves less work? is
9 easier?
10 >
11 > "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
12 > summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough
13 > text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers
14 > understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews,
15 > especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host
16 > to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing
17 > the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the
18 > entire original!"
19 >
20 and this has what to do with email? I'm sure in the dark ages of the internet
21 when mail was, indeed "proliferated by distributing the postings from one
22 host to another" that was a good point. is it still? I've got an idea,
23 let's use the bandwidth of the list to help one another, not be miss manners.
24
25 > In otherwords..."don't top post and trim your replies".
26 >
27 > -Richard
30 John Jolet
31 Your On-Demand IT Department