From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:35:56
1 Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > Yep. That's why bullshit like this shouldn't be done. Quotes should
4 > be done in the way I do it. Not because I do it (that's no reason),
5 > but because that's the way it's been done for a long time and (more)
6 > importantly, because it's been proven to be good.
9 And the proof is documented: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt,
10 section 3.1.1
11
12 But since top-posters are too lazy to scroll to the end of a message, or
13 trim the original before replying, I'm guessing they will be too lazy to
14 follow the link and read the RFC. So I'll quote the relevant section here:
15
16 "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
17 summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough
18 text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers
19 understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews,
20 especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host
21 to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing
22 the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the
23 entire original!"
24
25 In otherwords..."don't top post and trim your replies".
26
27 -Richard
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list