From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scanners, sane and driver support question
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 10:08:21
1 On 12/11/18 08:36, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > I bought an HP_Color (their spelling, not mine!) LaserJet MFP M476dw a
3 > few years ago. It does duplex printing and scanning and just works. A
4 > full set of toner cartridges isn't cheap, but they last well.
5
6 Looking at the front of mine, it's a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn.
7
8 Nice beast, but a full set of cartridges costs more than the printer
9 did! I went for that over its cheaper brother because when I factored in
10 the extra life of the starter cartridges, that seemed to cover the extra
11 cost.
12
13 So far it looks good. Just two niggles - this machine is well
14 out-of-date so CUPS doesn't seem to know about this model, and for some
15 reason I've set up scanning for three accounts successfully, but the
16 fourth just doesn't want to work :-(
17
18 Again, went for HP because they seem solid and reliable. Used to have a
19 Dell, but it was a "get a free printer if you buy 3 sets of cartridges".
20 Very good deal but the first one broke before it used all its
21 cartridges, and its replacement (fortunately, used the same cartridges)
22 broke shortly after it had run through all the cartridges. So I thought
23 "sod it, go for an HP with maintenance etc".
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol