From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Straight from the horse's mouth
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:36:00
1 On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:30:51AM +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote
2
3 > Walter,
4 >
5 > I'm confused about the xorg stuff in the WiKi. It mentions the
6 > evdev driver as critical, but at the Notes at the bottom you say
7 > "evdev need udev to be built". Can you clarify this?
8
9 I'll have to edit the wiki. The statement was probably correct when
10 originally posted, but recent builds of xf86-input-evdev require
11 >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.10 built with the udev flag. *SOME* xorg input
12 device drivers require xf86-input-evdev and therefore udev. I'm running
13 a few machines fine without evdev/udev, and xorg.conf for that matter,
14 under ICEWM. xf86-input-evdev may also be required by fancy "desktop
15 environments". Window managers like blackbox, fluxbox, FVWM, ICEWM, etc
16 can be dressed up to look rather fancy, and use a lot less resources
17 than GNOME/KDE/UNITY.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>