From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ddclient question
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:12:43
1 On Sunday, 18 June 2006 6:50, krgn wrote:
2 > hello,
3 >
4 > I have a few questions on how to basically access a specific machine in
5 > a network from the web. I have registered with dyndns.org and got
6 > ddclient running to provide the ip address, but the only thing I can now
7 > connect to is my network router ;) which is pretty useless. How would it
8 > be possible o change the setup for a machine within the smaller
9 > home-network? Does that have to do with the setup on dyndns or in the
10 > config file of ddclient?
11 > I can paste its content if needed, any advice and tips would be greatly
12 > appreciated!
13 >
14 > Thanks,
15 >
16 > Karsten
17
18 This doesn't have anything to do with ddclient or dyndns, as long as the dns
19 entry is pointing to the right ip then it's doing all it should.
20
21 Your router should provide the ability to configure port forwarding to
22 machines in your LAN. Simply configure it to forward traffic on whatever
23 ports you want to use to the clients which are serving those ports. The
24 router may also provide a DMZ function which will forward all incoming
25 traffic to a specific machine on your LAN, although this may possible make
26 the machine vulnerable to security exploits.
27
28 You'll have to read the documentation that came with the router or search
29 google in order to configure it appropriately as the configuration details
30 differ between manufacturers and models.
33 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list