From: krgn <k.gebbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ddclient question
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:52:27
1 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 18 June 2006 6:50, krgn wrote:
3 >
4 >> hello,
5 >>
6 >> I have a few questions on how to basically access a specific machine in
7 >> a network from the web. I have registered with dyndns.org and got
8 >> ddclient running to provide the ip address, but the only thing I can now
9 >> connect to is my network router ;) which is pretty useless. How would it
10 >> be possible o change the setup for a machine within the smaller
11 >> home-network? Does that have to do with the setup on dyndns or in the
12 >> config file of ddclient?
13 >> I can paste its content if needed, any advice and tips would be greatly
14 >> appreciated!
15 >>
16 >> Thanks,
17 >>
18 >> Karsten
21 > This doesn't have anything to do with ddclient or dyndns, as long as the dns
22 > entry is pointing to the right ip then it's doing all it should.
23 >
24 > Your router should provide the ability to configure port forwarding to
25 > machines in your LAN. Simply configure it to forward traffic on whatever
26 > ports you want to use to the clients which are serving those ports. The
27 > router may also provide a DMZ function which will forward all incoming
28 > traffic to a specific machine on your LAN, although this may possible make
29 > the machine vulnerable to security exploits.
30 >
31 > You'll have to read the documentation that came with the router or search
32 > google in order to configure it appropriately as the configuration details
33 > differ between manufacturers and models.
36 hm ok, but lets say for instance my machines hostname is "mymachine",
37 its port is 'xxxx' and the address which points to the router is
38 "myaddress.dyndns.org": what would be for example the ssh command to
39 connect to that particular machine? I know its a bit of a stupid
40 question, but I can't picture what this would look like/how it would
41 work. I must saz understanding these network issues really is a bit
42 tricky for me at the moment,
43
44 thanks for your help anyway,
48 Karsten