From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pdf viewer
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 07:57:21
1 On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 07:25:54PM +0100, lee wrote
2 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > > 1) Configure your handlers in seamonkey.
5 >
6 > How?
7
8 I've got Seamonkey 2.31. Go to
9 Edit ==> Preferences ==> Category;Browser ==> Helper Aplications
10
11 Assuming you've already got "Content Type" "PDF file" in the list,
12 click on the icon beside "emacsclient" in the "Action" column. This
13 opens a dropdown menu. Click on "Use other..." and navigate to
14 /usr/bin/mupdf in the file menu.
15
16 If you're really brave, you can try editing the mimeTypes.rdf file in
17 the browser profile directly. Remember to shut down your browser, and
18 back up the file first.
19
20 I originally got into this because of a particularly obnoxious
21 behaviour by Firefox. Seamonkey shares most Firefox code, so I assume
22 it follows suit. The obnoxious behaviour is that it dereferences
23 symlinks. Years ago Abiword would actually install a binary like
24 /usr/bin/abiword-1.2.3.4 and /usr/bin/abiword was a symlink to this
25 file. Let's say you selected abiword as the helper application to
26 launch when you get Word files as URLs. Firefox would dereference the
27 symlink to /usr/bin/abiword-1.2.3.4, and store that app name as the app
28 to launch for Word files. A version bump to /usr/bin/abiword-1.2.3.5
29 and Firefox would whine about /usr/bin/abiword-1.2.3.4 not being found.
30 I edited mimeTypes.rdf, changing all "abiword-1.2.3.4" to "abiword", and
31 things worked properly.
32
33 This was even more crucial for apps like "sox" which have symlinks
34 with different names like "play" that take different parameters and act
35 differently depending on the name you invoke them by.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications