From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb write delay
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:16:16
1 On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:04:54 -0600
2 Paul Hartman wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM, David Relson
5 > <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I'd like to reduce the time delay between a command or program's
7 > > writing to a file on a flash drive and when ext2 actually writes
8 > > the data to the drive.  How can I do this?
9 >
10 > In addition to Florian's tip, you can also remove the delay completely
11 > by mounting with sync option. This may negatively impact performance.
12 >
13 > Alternatively you can leave it caching as normal and then issue the
14 > "sync" command when you're done doing your USB operations and it'll
15 > flush remaining data to the flash drive immediately. (I think
16 > unmount/eject will do this too.) That's what I usually do.
17
18 Sync really, really slows down writes, at least for a solid state
19 drive. I'm looking for a way to avoid that slowdown without the
20 dangers of a user yanking a flash drive before the cache is
21 completely written out.