From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU opinions...
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:40:51
1 On 1/10/06, Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I've been using Win4Lin TS 3.0 for some time to server Win98SE to five
5 > remote users for legacy application support.
6 >
7 > I'm currently testing the recently released Win4Lin Pro TS server
8 > running Win2k as an intended replacement for the old TS server. This is
9 > where I came across QEMU...
10 >
11 > QEMU appears to have functionality similar to VMWare (I haven't tried it
12 > yet). I'm curious to here other Gentoo users' experience with this
13 > software. I will be using in a production environment so stability and
14 > uptime are very important, as are reasonable performance.
15
16 I used it to run the Office Viewers, hate when you receive a .doc with
17 strange chars and everything borked, WMP is the only thing that runs
18 some cranky pieces of video files decently, some sites only work
19 decently with IE and other apps are still to be correct run under
20 stuff like wine and such. I have an old license for win98 and so it
21 was my choice, besides any other would run too slowly because I only
22 have an Athlon XP 1.6, but it runs flawless for a long time. Instant
23 boot with the savevm and loadvm commands make it even better than the
24 real thing :)
25
26 I never had problems, you can install the OS and use the -snapshot
27 mode to never really "mess" with the original install, and even commit
28 changes after you feel its safe.
29
30 I must mention that the kqemu kernel module (needed in order to
31 provide decent speed) has a different license (its proprietary
32 software), and without it I couldn't stand the wait, so, I use it. I
33 don't know if it fits your needs and never used it at production
34 environment, but it is as stable as Win itself (heh), at least for me.
37 > I would very much appreciate any feedback you all can give me about your
38 > experience with QEMU.
39 >
40 > Best Wishes,
41 >