From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 08:43:43
1 On 14/04/2016 21:39, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 Apr 2016 11:21:39 Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >> 14.04.2016 10:43, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:33:10 AM Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
5 >>>> 14.04.2016 00:49, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>> Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
7 >>>> Hi Dale,
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> I'm not sure on where you got the black screen. If it is when X
10 >>>>> started, did you switch to sddm or some other compatible display
11 >>>>> manager? The old kdm isn't supported and from what I read, doesn't
12 >>>>> work. That may explain the black screen.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Sddm worked as expected, not to mention its veeery slow interface (for
15 >>>> that nvidia drivers can be blamed, but whatever). The black screen
16 >>>> appeared after logging in.
17 >>>
18 >>> Slow interface?
19 >>> It works quite well on my laptop. Did you add the "sddm" user to the
20 >>> "video" group as mentioned in the upgrade guide?
21 >>
22 >> No I didn't because I had a much more blatant issue with the whole
23 >> desktop than the 'SDDM display issues', I just didn't get to that.
24 >> Thanks for pointing it out, next time I'll give it a try.
25 >
26 > I don't have NVidia or use the full plasma desktop environment on my laptop (I
27 > use enlightenment instead with a Radeon card). However, I have not added sddm
28 > to the video group and have not noticed anything undue in my logs. I have
29 > however noticed that sddm is slightly slower than kdm.
30 >
31 > Why is the video group needed? What does it do?
34 It's a simple group permission scheme to allow users access to advanced
35 features on the video card, like what compositing does.
36
37 cdrom has an equivalent, if you're in the group you can use the drive.
38 If not, you can't
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com