From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:40:04
1 On Thursday 14 Apr 2016 11:21:39 Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 > 14.04.2016 10:43, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:33:10 AM Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
4 > >> 14.04.2016 00:49, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
6 > >> Hi Dale,
7 > >>
8 > >>> I'm not sure on where you got the black screen. If it is when X
9 > >>> started, did you switch to sddm or some other compatible display
10 > >>> manager? The old kdm isn't supported and from what I read, doesn't
11 > >>> work. That may explain the black screen.
12 > >>
13 > >> Sddm worked as expected, not to mention its veeery slow interface (for
14 > >> that nvidia drivers can be blamed, but whatever). The black screen
15 > >> appeared after logging in.
16 > >
17 > > Slow interface?
18 > > It works quite well on my laptop. Did you add the "sddm" user to the
19 > > "video" group as mentioned in the upgrade guide?
20 >
21 > No I didn't because I had a much more blatant issue with the whole
22 > desktop than the 'SDDM display issues', I just didn't get to that.
23 > Thanks for pointing it out, next time I'll give it a try.
24
25 I don't have NVidia or use the full plasma desktop environment on my laptop (I
26 use enlightenment instead with a Radeon card). However, I have not added sddm
27 to the video group and have not noticed anything undue in my logs. I have
28 however noticed that sddm is slightly slower than kdm.
29
30 Why is the video group needed? What does it do?
33 Regards,
34 Mick