From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:21:55
1 14.04.2016 10:43, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:33:10 AM Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >> 14.04.2016 00:49, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
5 >
6 >> Hi Dale,
7 >>
8 >>> I'm not sure on where you got the black screen. If it is when X
9 >>> started, did you switch to sddm or some other compatible display
10 >>> manager? The old kdm isn't supported and from what I read, doesn't
11 >>> work. That may explain the black screen.
12 >>
13 >> Sddm worked as expected, not to mention its veeery slow interface (for
14 >> that nvidia drivers can be blamed, but whatever). The black screen
15 >> appeared after logging in.
16 >
17 > Slow interface?
18 > It works quite well on my laptop. Did you add the "sddm" user to the "video"
19 > group as mentioned in the upgrade guide?
20
21 No I didn't because I had a much more blatant issue with the whole
22 desktop than the 'SDDM display issues', I just didn't get to that.
23 Thanks for pointing it out, next time I'll give it a try.
24
25 >>> If it after you login, did you select the write session? At first, I
26 >>> wasn't sure which one to pick. There is a couple at least KDE related.
27 >>> I think I had one that said plasma and one that said KDE wayland. I
28 >>> have seen wayland talked about and tried it but I got a black screen. I
29 >>> had to restart xdm to reset it. Then I chose plasma from the list and
30 >>> it worked. So, make sure you pick the right one.
31 >>
32 >> There were three choices for the session. By default plasma was
33 >> selected, this was the one that gave me the black screen. Others didn't
34 >> plain work (returned to sddm).
35 >
36 > No idea here, logs?
37
38 I didn't see anything relevant in Xorg.?.log (neither in messages) and
39 since there was no kdm which usually tracks all KDE messages I didn't
40 know where to look. Neither any new log files appeared.
44 Regards,
45 Yuri K. Shatroff