From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 07:44:07
1 On Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:33:10 AM Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 > 14.04.2016 00:49, Dale wrote:
3 > > Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
4
5 > Hi Dale,
6 >
7 > > I'm not sure on where you got the black screen. If it is when X
8 > > started, did you switch to sddm or some other compatible display
9 > > manager? The old kdm isn't supported and from what I read, doesn't
10 > > work. That may explain the black screen.
11 >
12 > Sddm worked as expected, not to mention its veeery slow interface (for
13 > that nvidia drivers can be blamed, but whatever). The black screen
14 > appeared after logging in.
15
16 Slow interface?
17 It works quite well on my laptop. Did you add the "sddm" user to the "video"
18 group as mentioned in the upgrade guide?
19
20 > > If it after you login, did you select the write session? At first, I
21 > > wasn't sure which one to pick. There is a couple at least KDE related.
22 > > I think I had one that said plasma and one that said KDE wayland. I
23 > > have seen wayland talked about and tried it but I got a black screen. I
24 > > had to restart xdm to reset it. Then I chose plasma from the list and
25 > > it worked. So, make sure you pick the right one.
26 >
27 > There were three choices for the session. By default plasma was
28 > selected, this was the one that gave me the black screen. Others didn't
29 > plain work (returned to sddm).
30
31 No idea here, logs?
35 Joost