From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 07:33:38
1 14.04.2016 00:49, Dale wrote:
2 > Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >> Hi guys,
4 >>
5 >> 12.04.2016 08:38, Dale wrote:
6 >>> Howdy,
7 >>>
8 >>> Well, I went and did it.
9 >>
10 >> So I went and did it, too.
11 >> Thank gods I made a backup. After emerging plasma-meta which wasn't
12 >> too easy because of dependency hell with eg networkmanager (Use-flag
13 >> on plasma-meta was off but it turned out that another dependency
14 >> (`plasma-workspace`) has a quite irrelevant use-flag (`geolocation`)
15 >> which pulls in networkmanager) and ruby and all, I just got a black
16 >> screen with a sole mouse pointer. When I click mouse buttons, it
17 >> flickers and shows a glimpse of what the desktop should be, but then
18 >> again switches to black screen. I tried to remove ~/.kde4 but nothing
19 >> effectively changed.
20 >> Thanks but No thanks, I prefer to restore my backup. Not gonna repeat
21 >> this at home.
25 Hi Dale,
28 > I'm not sure on where you got the black screen. If it is when X
29 > started, did you switch to sddm or some other compatible display
30 > manager? The old kdm isn't supported and from what I read, doesn't
31 > work. That may explain the black screen.
32
33 Sddm worked as expected, not to mention its veeery slow interface (for
34 that nvidia drivers can be blamed, but whatever). The black screen
35 appeared after logging in.
36
37 > If it after you login, did you select the write session? At first, I
38 > wasn't sure which one to pick. There is a couple at least KDE related.
39 > I think I had one that said plasma and one that said KDE wayland. I
40 > have seen wayland talked about and tried it but I got a black screen. I
41 > had to restart xdm to reset it. Then I chose plasma from the list and
42 > it worked. So, make sure you pick the right one.
43
44 There were three choices for the session. By default plasma was
45 selected, this was the one that gave me the black screen. Others didn't
46 plain work (returned to sddm).
47
48 > I might add, I don't solely depend on KDE for my desktop. I have
49 > Fluxbox and some other one as a backup. If for some reason KDE doesn't
50 > work, I use one of the backup desktops to get help. Sometimes, it can
51 > be something simple to fix which is better than losing everything that
52 > was already done. For me, it doesn't matter what that backup is as long
53 > as my web browser and email program will run and is usable. If I have
54 > that, I can google and if needed post on this list for help.
55
56 Thanks for the hint, it's a good idea, I also had a couple of times when
57 a working X would be helpful but failed to start due to kde related issues.
58
59 As for the new plasma stuff, I have almost all possible kde packages
60 updated to 5.x (unstable), with the exception of kdm, kwin, settings and
61 several others. My emerge of plasma-meta replaced these and additionally
62 installed 78 packages, the larger half of which wasn't kde related
63 (ruby, . What could have caused a black screen, I have no slightest idea
64 and since it prevented me from work I gave it up.
65
66 > Dale
67 >
73 Regards,