From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 20:32:19
1 On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 Feb 2014 17:32:44 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Feb 15, 2014 11:02 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> > On 2014-02-15 10:16 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >> >> Hi all,
6 >> >>
7 >> >> Not to revive a flame-fest against systemd, but...
8 >> >>
9 >> >> I'm sure some or most of you have already heard about this, but I found
10 >> >> a really decent thread discussing this whole systemd thing. It is only
11 >> >> really comparing systemd and upstart, as that was the debate going on in
12 >> >> the debian TC, but it is a great read, and has actually made me rethink
13 >> >> my blind objections to systemd a bit.
14 >> >
15 >> > One of which was logging:
16 >> >
17 >> > "20. Myth: systemd makes it impossible to run syslog.
18 >> >
19 >> > Not true, we carefully made sure when we introduced the journal that all
20 >>
21 >> data is also passed on to any syslog daemon running. In fact, if something
22 >> changed, then only that syslog gets more complete data now than it got
23 >> before, since we now cover early boot stuff as well as STDOUT/STDERR of any
24 >> system service."
25 >>
26 >> > From: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
27 >>
28 >> Also, for those of you who don't follow Linux-related news, Ubuntu will
29 >> also change to systemd in the future:
30 >>
31 >> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
32 >>
33 >> And I *heard* that Slackware was also discussing the possibility, but since
34 >> I don't follow Slackware at all, I don't know for sure.
35 >>
36 >> Anyway, distros not using systemd, and that they are not really small
37 >> and/or niche, seem to be disappearing. The discussion that Tanstaafl posted
38 >> is interesting since the arguments used by the four TC members are really
39 >> focused on the technical merits of the proposed init systems.
40 >
41 > There was a thread sometime last year mentioning a slimmer/slicker and obeying
42 > to the *nix design principles initialisation system, but can't find it at the
43 > moment. Isn't that at all in the running?
44
45 For Slackware, I have no idea. For Debian, no the only options were[1]:
46
47 1. sysvinit (status quo)
48 2. systemd
49 3. upstart
50 4. openrc (experimental)
51 5. One system on Linux, something else on non-linux
52 6. multiple
53
54 It should also be noted that no one in the TC voted OpenRC above
55 systemd AND upstart, and that while a couple voted systemd below
56 everything else, it can be argued that it was a tactical vote.
57
58 Regards.
59
60 [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/