From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 20:34:44
1 On 02/15/2014 02:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Saturday 15 Feb 2014 17:32:44 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>> On Feb 15, 2014 11:02 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>>> On 2014-02-15 10:16 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>>>> Hi all,
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> Not to revive a flame-fest against systemd, but...
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> I'm sure some or most of you have already heard about this, but I found
11 >>>>> a really decent thread discussing this whole systemd thing. It is only
12 >>>>> really comparing systemd and upstart, as that was the debate going on in
13 >>>>> the debian TC, but it is a great read, and has actually made me rethink
14 >>>>> my blind objections to systemd a bit.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> One of which was logging:
17 >>>>
18 >>>> "20. Myth: systemd makes it impossible to run syslog.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Not true, we carefully made sure when we introduced the journal that all
21 >>>
22 >>> data is also passed on to any syslog daemon running. In fact, if something
23 >>> changed, then only that syslog gets more complete data now than it got
24 >>> before, since we now cover early boot stuff as well as STDOUT/STDERR of any
25 >>> system service."
26 >>>
27 >>>> From: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
28 >>>
29 >>> Also, for those of you who don't follow Linux-related news, Ubuntu will
30 >>> also change to systemd in the future:
31 >>>
32 >>> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
33 >>>
34 >>> And I *heard* that Slackware was also discussing the possibility, but since
35 >>> I don't follow Slackware at all, I don't know for sure.
36 >>>
37 >>> Anyway, distros not using systemd, and that they are not really small
38 >>> and/or niche, seem to be disappearing. The discussion that Tanstaafl posted
39 >>> is interesting since the arguments used by the four TC members are really
40 >>> focused on the technical merits of the proposed init systems.
41 >>
42 >> There was a thread sometime last year mentioning a slimmer/slicker and obeying
43 >> to the *nix design principles initialisation system, but can't find it at the
44 >> moment. Isn't that at all in the running?
45 >
46 > For Slackware, I have no idea. For Debian, no the only options were[1]:
47 >
48 > 1. sysvinit (status quo)
49 > 2. systemd
50 > 3. upstart
51 > 4. openrc (experimental)
52 > 5. One system on Linux, something else on non-linux
53 > 6. multiple
54 >
55 > It should also be noted that no one in the TC voted OpenRC above
56 > systemd AND upstart, and that while a couple voted systemd below
57 > everything else, it can be argued that it was a tactical vote.
58 >
59 > Regards.
60 >
61 > [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/
64 Why didn't they consider runit? It has parallel execution of daemons and
65 is backwards compatible with sysv. It has a few other mini-features as
66 well, iirc. I used for a little while before Arch pushed systemd on
67 their community and it was interesting.