From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Error starting Konq after update world
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:56:24
1 On Wednesday 08 November 2006 04:55, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
3 > [...]
4 >
5 > >> I'd hoped someone would have had the same or similar situation and
6 > >> error before posted piles of data... so no not meaningless.
7 > >
8 > > Yes, meaningless; update world means the packages on YOUR machine,
9 > > matching YOUR arch and dependencies requires by YOUR use flags have been
10 > > changed. No one can relate to that without knowing all those settings, or
11 > > a simple list of the packages updated with "genlop --list --date
12 > > yesterday"
13 >
14 > Your repeating it ever louder does not make it so. update world
15 > conveys a major update of the entire OS, then follows a very specific
16 > error that I hoped someone would be able to identify.
17 >
18 > So no not meaningless,
19 >
20 > Were it actually meaningless no one would have been able to help.
21 > I was glad to supply any needed details. Your continued insistance on
22 > this appears to be more about opinion than fact.
23
24 The fact that we may sometimes be able to guess based on the error message
25 doesn't change the fact that saying you upgraded some packages without
26 stating which packages is entirely meaningless. If you would refuse to tell
27 us which then you might as well leave out the fact that you upgraded
28 anything. But it definitely is a lot easier if you just provided the output
29 of e.g. "genlop --list --date yesterday" as mentioned by Neil. Also the
30 purpose of Neil and I stating this isn't to make you or anyone else look bad
31 but rather to make it easier for everyone in the future...
34 Bo Andresen