From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GRUB2 new layout?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:34:42
1 On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:20:46 +0100, Dennis Tants wrote:
2
3 > I was runnig with 4.0.5, the latest is of course 4.1.15-r1. So I
4 > decided to upgrade my kernel. I started with eselect kernel set
5 > 4.1.15-r1 (the number for it). Then 'cd /usr/src/linux/ && make
6 > menuconfig'. I sorted out a few filesystems I didn't need, but thats
7 > all. After I saved the .config file, I did 'make && make
8 > modules_install && make install' like it is written in the handbook.
9 > Last but not least I wanted to create a new GRUB entry with
10 > 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'. I thought I did all steps but
11 > after a reboot, I ran into a kernel panic (Not syncing rootfs, IIRC).
12 > Following a tutorial to be able to boot again, I had a look at my
13 > grub.cfg.
14
15 A kernel panic means the kernel has loaded, which means GRUB has done its
16 job and it now out of the way. The error means either you haven't
17 included a necessary filesystem or device drive in the kernel (not as a
18 module) or you have given the wrong root device name to the kernel
19
20 Yes the GRUB2 config files are longer, but the only part you need to be
21 concerned with is the menuentry section you are booting, most of the
22 preamble is distro-agnostic housekeeping.
23
24 Can you post the relevant part of grub.cfg (or the whole thing if you're
25 not sure) and details of your hard disk layout (filesystems used, which
26 partition does what etc).
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 "There are no stupid questions, just too many inquisitive idiots."