From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:10:54
1 On Tue, Jun 23 2015, Daniel Frey wrote:
2
3 > On 06/23/2015 10:50 AM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Jun 23 2015, Christopher Jones wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Sent from my iPhone
7 >>>
8 >>> Regarding the touch screens/tablets, Gentoo has drivers for them. I've
9 >>> been using Gentoo on my tablet PC for years now. However there's no
10 >>> swipe capability. I've read someone who did it but that was just one
11 >>> person and couldn't figure out how he did it. I think they used KDE's
12 >>> Plasma.
13 >>
14 >> Thanks. I use gnome and would make little use of the touch screen
15 >> capability if it were available. As a result I decided against it for
16 >> this purchase since it appears the admin overhead would exceed the very
17 >> modest use I would make of it. Hopefully in 3 years, when I buy my next
18 >> laptop it will be well supported and "just works" in gnome.
19 >>
20 >> thanks again,
21 >> allan
24 > I discovered another mark against touchscreens - I tried to repair a
25 > friend's laptop with a touch screen (not a Dell) and found that the
26 > supply chain for parts for repair is slim to none. They do break and in
27 > a couple years you may not be able to find a digitizer (or if you do you
28 > can't get it separate from the laptop screen assembly - camera, screen,
29 > digitizer). And if you are really unlucky you'll find that the
30 > connectors are different from the non-touch to the touch models so
31 > swapping in a plain screen won't work.
32 >
33 > Dan
34
35 Thanks. I will wait until next cycle for a touchscreen.
36
37 allan