From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 19:54:01
1 On 06/23/2015 10:50 AM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 23 2015, Christopher Jones wrote:
3 >
4 >> Sent from my iPhone
5 >>
6 >> Regarding the touch screens/tablets, Gentoo has drivers for them. I've
7 >> been using Gentoo on my tablet PC for years now. However there's no
8 >> swipe capability. I've read someone who did it but that was just one
9 >> person and couldn't figure out how he did it. I think they used KDE's
10 >> Plasma.
11 >
12 > Thanks. I use gnome and would make little use of the touch screen
13 > capability if it were available. As a result I decided against it for
14 > this purchase since it appears the admin overhead would exceed the very
15 > modest use I would make of it. Hopefully in 3 years, when I buy my next
16 > laptop it will be well supported and "just works" in gnome.
17 >
18 > thanks again,
19 > allan
22 I discovered another mark against touchscreens - I tried to repair a
23 friend's laptop with a touch screen (not a Dell) and found that the
24 supply chain for parts for repair is slim to none. They do break and in
25 a couple years you may not be able to find a digitizer (or if you do you
26 can't get it separate from the laptop screen assembly - camera, screen,
27 digitizer). And if you are really unlucky you'll find that the
28 connectors are different from the non-touch to the touch models so
29 swapping in a plain screen won't work.
30
31 Dan