From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 16:07:50
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > I finally got me a 3Tb drive on the way. Should be here Wednesday. I
4 > have seen some reviews where it would not work right. I think some of
5 > it may be BIOS related since some BIOS's don't like drives that large.
6 > Anyway, I want to test this thing real good to really make sure it is up
7 > to the task before putting my data on it. It's going to be so much
8 > data, there is really no way to do back-ups at this point. Come on, 2
9 > to 3Tbs on 4Gb DVDs. Really? lol Maybe a external drive later on but
10 > for now, well.
11 >
12 > I have heard of bonnie and friends. I also think dd could do some
13 > testing too. Is there any other way to give this a good work and see if
14 > it holds up? Oh, helpful hints with Bonnie would be great too. I have
15 > never used it before. Maybe someone has some test that is really
16 > brutal.
17
18 smartctl -t long /dev/sdb will make the drive start a selftest. This
19 will take a while, and even more if the drive is being used otherwise, as
20 this test should not impact its performance. Use smartctl -l selftest to
21 view the results. As long as there is no number in the
22 'LBA_of_first_error' column, it should be okay.
23
24 That is a reading test only, badblocks -sw /dev/sdb will make it perform
25 a write-mode test. It uses four different patterns, I would be okay with
26 only one test, so I'd either stop it when it is done writing and
27 comparing the first pattern, or supply a test pattern with option -t.
28
29 Wonko