From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any experience with swapfiles?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 21:00:35
1 I haven't used a swap partition on any of my systems (intel celeron,
2 p3, amd64, intel xeon) for over... what... 10 years?
3 Swapfiles only, and sometimes I don't even mount the swap. Although I
4 have never removed support for any kind of swap from my kernel.
7 dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/swapfile bs=1M count=1024
8 mkswap /path/to/swapfile
9 swapon /path/to/swapfile
10 (btw, I like to put the swap file in /root or /boot, but that's my
11 pref, on space constrained PC, i would put a swapfile on every drive
12 to distribute it).
15 I don't have access to my box to confirm but I think /etc/fstab would
16 be setup the same as normal swap except with the file path instead of
17 the device partition.
18
19 Except for issue pointed out by Paul about hibernation, dd line above
20 takes care of non-sparsity. As for security, having a swap is less
21 secure than having none: a malicious persion could extract
22 information from programs memory which was swapped (ie, like the
23 decripted information "for your eyes only").
24
25 Having no swap at all was a problem on small systems with little RAM
26 when emerging big stuff (boost failed all the time on a pc with
27 256mb).
28
29 Resizing swap "on-the-fly" with swapfiles:
30 And on HDD-space constrained system, i used to have several
31 swapfiles that I created and deleted in the manner above, that I named
32 swapfile-256, swapfile-512, etc... A smooth "upgrade of swap
33 on-the-fly" was done this way: say I had 256 swapped on, I could swap
34 on a new 512 (768 total at moment, all data still on 256mb file), then
35 swapoff the 256 (takes a bit of time for swap data to move over),
36 delete the 256. Downgrade can be done in the same manner. "swapon
37 -s" (status) will be a good friend of yours now.
38
39 Good luck!
40
41 Simon