From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:43:23
1 On 07/09/10 06:19, Al wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > being comparingly new to Gentoo I still wounder why the classical
5 > heart of every open source community is missing, a public news server.
6 > At least a news server is not offically announced on
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/ like forums, IRC and mailinglists. (I can read
8 > some, not all of the lists via infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.)
9 >
10 > Well, there are mailinglists. But mailinglists send each message to
11 > everybody producing a lot of traffic overhead. As as result people are
12 > socially driven to reduce the amount of messages. The lists are dead
13 > early while IRC still is active.
14 >
15 > By this a lot of interesting solutions are lost to effective web
16 > search. The buzz in IRC doesn't result in a web searchable
17 > documentation. It is rubbish the moment after it was written. Also it
18 > is not everybodies taste only to send small messages and to paste
19 > elsewhere when the stuff exceeds 2 lines of code.
20 >
21 > Then there are some Gentoo web forums out there. Now that is really
22 > slow, moving tons of HTML for every single posting. Valuable
23 > information is scattered all around. Do we think intelligent people to
24 > limited to install a Thunderbird to read news, so that people are to
25 > driven to web forums like housewifes, that only know the web as
26 > webpages?
27 >
28 > When comparing Gentoo with other communities it has very good
29 > documentation but communication could be better. I am missing the
30 > heart of it.
31 >
32 > Al
33 Why say that "lists are dead early"? This list I find takes a certain
34 amount of maintenance to keep up-to-date, otherwise it grows to an
35 unmanageable number of e-mails in my Inbox. If anything, it's "too
36 alive" with too much communication, it's nowhere near dead. That's not
37 to say I'm complaining about the amount of mail this list generates; I'm
38 just saying that it's certainly not dead.
39
40 Everyone's got their preference; some like mailing lists and come here.
41 Others like forums and go there. Still others prefer IRC.
42
43 Also, a quick Google search of "gentoo newsgroup" showed me
44 alt.os.linux.gentoo, and that it's been posted to as recently as less
45 than a month ago. What's wrong with that newsgroup?
46
47 And I, for one at least, use Thunderbird to read my e-mail; the
48 interface is pretty much the same for mail and news. A little
49 configuration change and I'd be using news. But I like the mailing
50 list, not newsgroups. (shrug)
51
52 Jake Moe