From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filthy oscilloscope picture! =P
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:32:15
1 On 22/08/2015 21:19, Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Isn't this the filthiest oscilloscope u've seen recently?
3
4 I've seen cleaner. And dirtier.
5
6 > The only bare metal contact that I could safely use to get a reading off
7 > was a +12v line on a spare PCI-E gpu plug. The ground reference is the
8 > chassis.
9 >
10 > You can see the machine's settings in the photo clearly enough. The
11 > waveform is fairly constant, it stays in this mode most of the time but
12 > sometimes goes into a "low ripple" mode where the ripple falls to +/-
13 > 20mv and holds tight. The scaling indicates the upward spikes are around
14 > 0.120 volts and the downward spikes are about 0.22 volts. This
15 > __SHOULD__ be within the input tolerances of the motherboard's regulators.
16 >
17 > I would call this PSU marginal, it absolutely does power the machine but
18 > it's noise output is a bit larger than what I would prefer.
19
20 I would call that PSU on it's last legs, and highly likely to be the
21 root cause for the recent difficulties you've posted about and possibly
22 more too. +100mV/-200mV is excessive
23
24 > Given that i'm flat on my ass broke with a foreclosure over my head, I
25 > am powerfully inclined to continue to live with the PSU the way it is
26 > now until it is no longer possible to do so.
27
28 Well now you put it that way, you don't have many options other than use
29 what you've got.
30
31 But do realise that the next time you run into some weird issue, that
32 PSU is most likely what you are dealing with as root cause.
35 > I had to use my windows 7 machine to get the photo off my camera because
36 > digikam does not compile. =|
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com