From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new install using lxdeL no `run' cmd
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:09:24
1 Michael Vetter <michael.vetter <at> uni-konstanz.de> writes:
4 > > lxde is deprecated, imho. [1]
5 > LXDE is still in development, LXQt is just a new project by some people
6 > who also developed LXDE. [3]
7
8 Yes, the tenor has changed over the months to keep the base of users in tact.
9
10 But, if you read the 'tea leaves' this desktop lineage is on the move,
11 and devs are few and very limited to support several trunks.
14 > I am not a LXDE user so I am not quite sure what the "run" item is. In
15 > case it's the main menu you might try right clicking on the menu and go
16 > set a .menu file. At least that is what I had to do in LXQt.
17
18 What your not continuing with LXDE? Dude, lxde is dead; there just is no
19 scheduled funeral announce until lxqt is more feature rich, *imho*. ymmv.
22 > Good luck.
23 > Michael
24 > [3] http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1310
25
26 I read this. I see no commitment to lxde long term. He is newly installing,
27 so lxde is probably a bad choice, if he intends to use it for a few years.
28 ymmv. Futhermore is Weyland in his sights? Dunno, but that seems to
29 be the target, with qt5 resource utilization. I bet many codes that are
30 centric to qt4 will not keep up, and thus be dropped, eventually.
33 hth,
34 James