From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Very recent change in behavior of gmail imap/smtp servers [SOLVED (for the third time, maybe fourth ;) ]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 01:11:10
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 18:34:25 -0700
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Google has just introduced a 120-second delay before allowing login to
5 > their email servers. Just in the last day or two, literally.
6
7 Yet again, I think(hope/pray) I've solved this mysterious change in
8 behavior:
9
10 For years I've configured my email clients (thunderbird, and recently
11 claws-mail) to use "imap.gmail.com" as the mail server.
12
13 Finally I 'googled' (using DuckDuckGo) for how to configure imap access
14 to gmail servers, and discovered that google is now recommending the
15 server name "imap.googlemail.com" instead of "imap.gmail.com".
16
17 I made the appropriate changes in configuration for claws-mail and
18 thunderbird, and I think(hope/pray) that the problem is fixed. In my
19 preliminary trials it seems to be fixed.
20
21 The mail server did ask me (once) after changing the server name, to
22 reconfirm my password, so something did really change. I'm not
23 making this stuff up, I promise.