From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Chroot question
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:05:57
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:33:15 -0600
3 > "Anthony E. Caudel" <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> I have an AMD64 chip and have separate Gentoo x86 and x86_64 distros.
7 >> Gentoo has a "32Bit Chroot Guide for Gentoo/AMD64" but this guide only
8 >> discusses setting up a separate 32bit environment within the 64bit
9 >> Gentoo. I was wondering if it could be used, suitably modified, to
10 >> chroot from my x86_64 bit distro to my x86 distro. Will it mess up
11 >> one or the other?
14 > No, they won't effect each other, but isn't this generally how a
15 > multi-lib system is done? I read a howto years ago but got bored
16 > halfway through, and since I didn't need it anyway, I gave up.
19 Good point. I don't know the difference between chroot'ing and multilib
20 (well, I know the difference but I don't the advantages/disadvantages of
21 each).
22
23 The reason I want to be able to chroot is that I want to be able run
24 "make menuconfig" in each distro in order to view, side-by-side the
25 configuration of the kernels. The x86 distro is my "production" distro
26 but I want to configure and tune the x86_64 kernel to be as close to the
27 x86 kernel as possible.
28
29 Tony
32 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
33 -- Benjamin Franklin
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list