From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SNMP Security
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:34:01
1 Michael Crute <mcrute <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I am using Cacti on a firewalled production server to do all manner of
5 > system monitoring and metrics. I would also like to setup SNMP on my
6 > development servers that sits behind a firewall at a different data
7 > center. Is there a way that I can securely allow SNMP access to my
8 > development boxen from the production box. The end result I am looking
9 > for is the ability to log in to a single instance of cacti and have
10 > access to all of my servers all over the world. Is this possible to do
11 > securely? Any recommendations?
12
13 Hello Mike,
14
15 JFFNMS is a NMS with many,many more features than cacti.
16 www.jffnms.org
17 The user group is quite astute and very willing to help.
18 JFFNMS is very customizable and folks are adding support
19 for UPSesa and all sorts of ethernet based equipment on
20 a very frequent basis. The archives are wonderful.
21 Support for SNMP 1/2/3 is a key part of JFFNMS. Several
22 of the JFFNMS devs know more about SNMP that anyone I've
23 encountered.... (YMMV)
24
25 There are 2 ebuilds for jffnms on gentoo:
26 net-analyzer/jffnms
27 Available versions: 0.8.2 0.8.3
28 Installed: none
29 Homepage: http://www.jffnms.org/
33 0.8.2 is broken due many changes with gentoo.
34
35 0.8.3 has a few flag issues that can be worked thru manually. Do post
36 what you do with the flags listed in:
37 /usr/portage/net-analyzer/jffnms/jffnms-0.8.3.ebuild
38 to bugzilla, so the devs can finalize what they are going to
39 do with the flag options.
40
41 Drop me some email...
42
43 I do not think that JFFNMS is SElinux friendly, yet.
46 James
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list