From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:58:27
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 28/06/2014 15:05, Dale wrote:
3 >> On this old drive. I got my data copied over and tested the stuffin out
4 >> of the new drive and then tested it a few more times. Looks good for
5 >> the new drive. I'm doing a dd on the old drive now and I plan to let it
6 >> at least get to where that bad spot is. I figure if I let dd do its
7 >> thing on the whole drive, that should get it, unless I lose power or
8 >> something and have to stop it. After that, I'm going to put a file
9 >> system on it and fill it up and test it and see what it says then.
10 >> Maybe it will fix itself and I can at least use it as a occasional
11 >> backup or something. I dunno.
12 >>
13 >> I noticed when I copied the data over that some files had a line of
14 >> question marks in the name. Since a question mark is a wild card, I
15 >> can't find them now. How does one search for a file name that has a
16 >> wild card in it?
17 >
18 > escape the character with a \
19 >
20 > But that's not your main problem. You got those filenames because the
21 > source disk somehow has a problem and the names couldn't be read
22 > properly. So junk was used instead.
23 >
24 > Reasons vary, but the basics never change: there is a problem with your
25 > source disk and now you need to go find what that problem is.
28 Well, the drive is replaced but it copied the "bad" file over as well.
29 I just want to find it so that I can check it and delete it if it is
30 bad. It's one of my videos so no point in some corrupted file hanging
31 around if it is no good. Plus, I hope I can figure out what is missing
32 and find a copy on youtube or something. Maybe I will be that lucky.
33
34 Now to go see if I can find it again. ;-)
35
36 Thanks.
37
38 Dale