From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:09:20
1 On 28/06/2014 15:05, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 06:55:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> It was more Murphy's law I was worried about. ;-)
6 >> Hasn't that been deprecated in favour of Dale's Law?
10 > If it hasn't, maybe it should. It's strange tho, I have good luck with
11 > a lot of things, even computer hardware really, but messing with some
12 > new software generally leads to trouble. Hal was the first really bad
13 > thing. There was some other thing that popped up that I can't recall
14 > and recently the init thingy kept me from booting. I then booted the
15 > init thingy off here. I just keep a up to date Kubuntu disk laying
16 > around. ;-) New software just doesn't like me or my rig much. Older
17 > stuff seems to work fine. It's the things that seem to be new that
18 > really crawl under my skin. It seems they always bite me even when it
19 > works for most everyone else. That was pretty much the case with hal.
20 > It just would not work on my rig. I give the dev credit tho, he
21 > realized it was a mess and started over from scratch. At least he
22 > realized the boo boo.
23 >
24 > On this old drive. I got my data copied over and tested the stuffin out
25 > of the new drive and then tested it a few more times. Looks good for
26 > the new drive. I'm doing a dd on the old drive now and I plan to let it
27 > at least get to where that bad spot is. I figure if I let dd do its
28 > thing on the whole drive, that should get it, unless I lose power or
29 > something and have to stop it. After that, I'm going to put a file
30 > system on it and fill it up and test it and see what it says then.
31 > Maybe it will fix itself and I can at least use it as a occasional
32 > backup or something. I dunno.
33 >
34 > I noticed when I copied the data over that some files had a line of
35 > question marks in the name. Since a question mark is a wild card, I
36 > can't find them now. How does one search for a file name that has a
37 > wild card in it?
40 escape the character with a \
41
42 But that's not your main problem. You got those filenames because the
43 source disk somehow has a problem and the names couldn't be read
44 properly. So junk was used instead.
45
46 Reasons vary, but the basics never change: there is a problem with your
47 source disk and now you need to go find what that problem is.
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com