From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:05:46
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 06:55:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> It was more Murphy's law I was worried about. ;-)
5 > Hasn't that been deprecated in favour of Dale's Law?
9 If it hasn't, maybe it should. It's strange tho, I have good luck with
10 a lot of things, even computer hardware really, but messing with some
11 new software generally leads to trouble. Hal was the first really bad
12 thing. There was some other thing that popped up that I can't recall
13 and recently the init thingy kept me from booting. I then booted the
14 init thingy off here. I just keep a up to date Kubuntu disk laying
15 around. ;-) New software just doesn't like me or my rig much. Older
16 stuff seems to work fine. It's the things that seem to be new that
17 really crawl under my skin. It seems they always bite me even when it
18 works for most everyone else. That was pretty much the case with hal.
19 It just would not work on my rig. I give the dev credit tho, he
20 realized it was a mess and started over from scratch. At least he
21 realized the boo boo.
22
23 On this old drive. I got my data copied over and tested the stuffin out
24 of the new drive and then tested it a few more times. Looks good for
25 the new drive. I'm doing a dd on the old drive now and I plan to let it
26 at least get to where that bad spot is. I figure if I let dd do its
27 thing on the whole drive, that should get it, unless I lose power or
28 something and have to stop it. After that, I'm going to put a file
29 system on it and fill it up and test it and see what it says then.
30 Maybe it will fix itself and I can at least use it as a occasional
31 backup or something. I dunno.
32
33 I noticed when I copied the data over that some files had a line of
34 question marks in the name. Since a question mark is a wild card, I
35 can't find them now. How does one search for a file name that has a
36 wild card in it?
37
38 Dale
39