From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Long standing problem of booting thu kvm switch
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 01:04:10
1 Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> However since I can access the bios thru the KVM switch, shouldn't
6 >>> that mean I should be also able to access the grub prompt?
7 >>
8 >> I think that basically GRUB does not have USB HID drivers to know how
9 >> to talk to your keyboard directly, so the Legacy/DOS/whatever mode in
10 >> your BIOS makes the BIOS emulate a standard PS/2 keyboard from your
11 >> USB keyboard. AFAIK. :)
12 >
13 > OK, and that jibes right in with the start of my troubles, now
14 > possibly over a yr when it started... I had been using a ps/2 kvm.
15 >
16 > I bet the switch to usb kvm was the beginning of the trouble.   From
17 > what you said, I'm thinking the fact that the old KVM was ps/2 would
18 > mean that was how grub worked with it.
19 >
20 > Grub is a very ancient program ... though I recall when linux users
21 > relied on lilo.  But it seems development on grub has stalled quite
22 > some time ago.
23
24 The development on the version of grub that most of us use (grub 0.xx
25 series, now called grub-legacy) stopped something like 5 years ago so
26 they could begin again on grub2. grub2 is still under active
27 development and is usable but development status would still be
28 classified as unstable and they could make major compatibility-defying
29 changes at any time if they wanted to.
30
31 There have been patches to the legacy grub to add support for things
32 like GPT so it still gets the job done for most people in most
33 ordinary cases.
34
35 Here's a page that lists the current features of grub2:
36 http://grub.enbug.org/CurrentStatus