From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 17:17:55
1 On 04/26 06:22, Floyd Anderson wrote:
2 > On Mi, 26 Apr 04:38:29 +0200
3 > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > > On 04/25 07:38, Floyd Anderson wrote:
5 > > > On Di, 25 Apr 17:47:22 +0200
6 > > > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
7 > > A few minutes ago I emerged xfce4-terminal and tried the
8 > > cat-time-test of yesterday: 29 secondes with xfce-terminal
9 > > and 5 seconds with urxvt. Hmmmm...
10 > >
11 > > You have got the reversed results compared with mine...
12 > Yes, my test (and probably my response to you) was too quick. I’m using
13 > ‘URxvt*skipScroll: false’ here (cannot recall exactly why), which defaults
14 > to ‘true’ normally. The same time-cat-test with `urxvt -ss` now finish
15 > within a second instead of 25. Just another example that shows
16 > comparing test results might be misleading, especially across multiple
17 > computers.
18 >
19 > > What the heck slows down the output of the terminals on my
20 > > Gentoo and only let urxvt shine?
21 > That was one of my first thought when I was noticing the performance
22 > difference between virtual terminal and terminal emulator(s). I happily
23 > ended up by using rxvt-unicode after a relative short quest due to its low
24 > resource requirements (can additionally decreased by using urxvtd),
25 > extensibility, responsive and so on. And true colour — maybe some day; but
26 > to be honest, 256 colours is more than enough for a terminal, at least for
27 > me — even more as long as applications like Mutt, struggles by using only a
28 > dozen of different colours.
29 >
30 > I’m sure the way answering this question will cost quite some time of
31 > comparisons and/or investigations — too much vectors and special cases, too
32 > much ‘too much’ for my taste (for a single feature).
33 >
34 > One thing (as you can see by my test result above) is the configuration
35 > itself — one nondescript parameter with a so noticeable impact. Also, with
36 > different font sizes you’ll get different test results.
37 >
38 > Other reasons may be hardware acceleration, the font handling/renderer
39 > (anti-aliasing, sub-pixel addressing, hinting, colouring, combining
40 > characters, buffering), graphical features (transparency, background image,
41 > scroll bar).
42 >
43 > And the main question that follows those considerations: Which of the
44 > terminal appearance/behaviour is well documented and can be controlled by
45 > the user? This were my next starting point at the quest for a new emulator
46 > nowadays.
47 >
48 > > PS: I found XVilka before. That's why I asked for some experiences
49 > > of other users.... :)
50 > Yes, I thought as much because it is one of the top web search results by
51 > now. I put it in for the case you haven’t recognised it and due to the
52 > terminal overview and its still ongoing discussion.
55 > --
56 > Regards,
57 > floyd
61 Hi FLoyd,
62
63 thanks for your words and explanations! :)
64
65 Yes, testing/comparing starts with syncing test conditions.
66 I didn't know about that config item of urxvt you mentioned, too.
67
68 urxvt displays smaller fonts more nicely than sakura (for example)
69 which may be point to different font rendering "engines"
70 (nowadays everything seems to be a "system" et least - if
71 not a complete "engin"...my mutt is a "mail composing engine
72 with a great configuration sustem"...hahahha).
73
74 Sakura seems currently the only one handling some of vims
75 colorschemes more correctly.
76
77 Hmmmm...
78
79 Will what happens GL as suggested in a previous post...
80
81 Keep scrolling!!1 :)
82 Cheers
83 Meino