From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:23:15
1 On Mi, 26 Apr 04:38:29 +0200
2 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >On 04/25 07:38, Floyd Anderson wrote:
4 >> On Di, 25 Apr 17:47:22 +0200
5 >> tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
6 >A few minutes ago I emerged xfce4-terminal and tried the
7 >cat-time-test of yesterday: 29 secondes with xfce-terminal
8 >and 5 seconds with urxvt. Hmmmm...
9 >
10 >You have got the reversed results compared with mine...
11 Yes, my test (and probably my response to you) was too quick. I’m using
12 ‘URxvt*skipScroll: false’ here (cannot recall exactly why), which
13 defaults to ‘true’ normally. The same time-cat-test with `urxvt -ss` now
14 finish within a second instead of 25. Just another example that shows
15 comparing test results might be misleading, especially across multiple
16 computers.
17
18 >What the heck slows down the output of the terminals on my
19 >Gentoo and only let urxvt shine?
20 That was one of my first thought when I was noticing the performance
21 difference between virtual terminal and terminal emulator(s). I happily
22 ended up by using rxvt-unicode after a relative short quest due to its
23 low resource requirements (can additionally decreased by using urxvtd),
24 extensibility, responsive and so on. And true colour — maybe some day;
25 but to be honest, 256 colours is more than enough for a terminal, at
26 least for me — even more as long as applications like Mutt, struggles by
27 using only a dozen of different colours.
28
29 I’m sure the way answering this question will cost quite some time of
30 comparisons and/or investigations — too much vectors and special cases,
31 too much ‘too much’ for my taste (for a single feature).
32
33 One thing (as you can see by my test result above) is the configuration
34 itself — one nondescript parameter with a so noticeable impact. Also,
35 with different font sizes you’ll get different test results.
36
37 Other reasons may be hardware acceleration, the font handling/renderer
38 (anti-aliasing, sub-pixel addressing, hinting, colouring, combining
39 characters, buffering), graphical features (transparency, background
40 image, scroll bar).
41
42 And the main question that follows those considerations: Which of the
43 terminal appearance/behaviour is well documented and can be controlled
44 by the user? This were my next starting point at the quest for a new
45 emulator nowadays.
46
47 >PS: I found XVilka before. That's why I asked for some experiences
48 >of other users.... :)
49 Yes, I thought as much because it is one of the top web search results
50 by now. I put it in for the case you haven’t recognised it and due to
51 the terminal overview and its still ongoing discussion.
55 Regards,
56 floyd