From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Secure remote backup
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:07:58
1 On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:40:46 +0100, Dan Johansson wrote:
2
3 > > I use a combination of sshfs and encfs to keep my backups encrypted at
4 > > Strongspace. You can use this with any online backup or web hosting
5 > > services as long as they allow ssh file transfers (you don't need ssh
6 > > login).
7 >
8 > This sounds like an interesting approach, would you mind sharing some
9 > more details about your setup/configuration?
10
11 Initially I tried mounting the remote directory using sshfs and then
12 creating an encfs mount on it. however, this ran exceptionally slowly so
13 I tool a different approach.
14
15 I creating a local encfs mount with
16 encfs /path/to/data-enc /path/to/data-plain
17
18 Then used rsync to backup the required directories to /path/to/data-plain
19 which left encrypted versions of them in /path/to/data-enc. Then I simply
20 used rsync to sync the encrypted directory to the remote backup server.
21 Each backup run now consists of
22
23 encfs /path/to/data-enc /path/to/data-plain
24 rsync /src/dir /path/to/data-plain
25 rsync -a /path/to/data-enc/ user@backup-server:/backups/
26 fusermount -u /path/to/data-plain
27
28 This is done via cron each night.
29
30 I can access individual files from the encrypted backup with
31
32 sshfs -o idmap=user user@backup-server:/backups /path/to/data-enc
33 encfs user@backup-server:/backups /path/to/data-plain
34
35 I also needed to put my SSH public key in .ssh/authorized_keys to avoid
36 giving passwords every time the backup ran.
37
38 The sshfs and encfs documentation is quite good, but feel free to ask if
39 you need any more info.
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 Check three friends. If they're OK, you're it.