From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've been hacked.
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 06:55:40
1 >> I nmap'ed one of my remote Gentoo servers today and besides the
2 >> expected open ports were these:
3 >>
4 >> 1080/tcp open  socks
5 >> 3128/tcp open  squid-http
6 >> 8080/tcp open  http-proxy
7 >>
8 >> I'm not running any sort of proxy software that I know of and I should
9 >> be the only person whatsoever with access to the machine.  'netstat
10 >> -l' doesn't show any info on those ports at all so I suppose it's been
11 >> hacked as well?  I installed and ran 'rkhunter --check' (what happened
12 >> to the chrootkit ebuild?) but it doesn't seem to be much use since I
13 >> hadn't established a "file of stored file properties".
14 >>
15 >> What do you guys think is going on?  What should I do from here?
16 >
17 > What does lsof (I'd reinstall it afresh) show with regards to strange users?
18 > What users the above services run under.  If indeed they are not legitimate
19 > and you confirm that they are not being run as packages that you installed,
20 > then I'm afraid the only sane option is to reinstall.
21
22 Wow. I'm actually seeing the same thing from other domains I nmap.
23 Could my ISP have some kind of a weird environment set up that makes
24 it look like there are ports such as these open on remote systems?
25 Right now I'm on some kind of a shared connection where everyone has
26 their own modem or router or whatever it is, but I think everyone's IP
27 is the same.
28
29 - Grant