From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't mount ext4 fs as est3 or ext3
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:33:50
1 On Fri, Apr 26 2013, Andrea Conti wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 >> EXT3-fs (sda5): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
6 > features (240)
7 >
8 >> /dev/sda5 / ext4 noatime,discard 0 1
9 >
10 > When first mounting the root filesystem the kernel has no access to
11 > /etc/fstab and therefore by default tries mounting it with all available
12 > FS drivers until one succeeds. ext3 (or ext4 in ext3 mode) is tried
13 > before ext4 and you get that error when it fails because the filesystem
14 > is using ext4-only features such as extents.
15 >
16 > You can avoid that by adding "rootfstype=ext4" to the kernel command line.
17 >
18 >> Since all my fs are ext4 I could remove ext3 support from the kernel
19 >> (3.5.4). Is that the recommended procedure?
20 >
21 > You can remove ext2/ext3 support even if you still have ext2/ext3
22 > filesystems around; the ext4 driver is backwards compatible and can
23 > handle those with no problems. You just have to make sure that
24 > CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT23 is set in your kernel configuration.
25 >
26 > HTH
27 > andrea
28
29 Thanks. I didn't know about rootfstype.
30
31 allan