From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Discontinued Package: Copy to local overlay, just leave installed, or install manually?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:02:58
1 On 2023-02-19 10:24+0100 Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > according to https://bugs.gentoo.org/718972 (and a posting
6 > in the dev list), gsutil (and all needed libs) will be removed
7 > from the tree because "it's broken" (which is not true - works
8 > like a charm).
9 >
10 > Since I do need gsutil urgently, I have already copied the needed
11 > ebuilds from /usr/portage to a local overlay in order to "emerge
12 > -c gsutil::gentoo" and then "emerge gsutil::local".
13 >
14 > But then came to my mind: Is that necessary at all? As far as I
15 > know, I can just leave discontinued packages installed and continue
16 > to use them - regardless of whether they are still in portage tree
17 > or not. True or false?
18
19 Yes, you can just continue to use them. The ebuild will be kept in
20 /var/db/pkg/ in case portage needs to reinstall them or so.
21 However, it might make sense to copy it to a local overlay to make it
22 easier to get an overview of self/un -maintained packages. And since
23 gsutil requires Python, you'll have to modify the ebuild at some point
24 anyway to add support for newer Python versions.
25
26 > Or is it better to get rid of portage/ebuilds at all and do a
27 > manual installation, as described at
28 > https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gsutil_install?hl=en ?
29
30 I'd say use the ebuild since it already exists. Makes breakage less
31 likely.
32
33 Kind regards, tastytea