From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 01:38:02
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 2 January 2020 18:48:03 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 >>> On 2020-01-01 18:09, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> As some may recall, I have a 8TB external SATA hard drive that I do
6 >>>> back ups on. Usually, I back up once a day, more often if
7 >>>> needed. Usually I turn the power on, mount it, do the back ups,
8 >>>> unmount and turn the power back off. Usually it is powered up for 5
9 >>>> minutes or so. When I unmount it tho, I sometimes notice it is still
10 >>>> doing something. I can feel the mechanism for the heads moving. It has
11 >>>> a slight vibration to it. Questions are, what is it doing and should
12 >>>> I let it finish before powering it off? I'd assume that once it in
13 >>>> unmounted, the copy process is done so the files are safe. I guess it
14 >>>> is doing some sort of internal checks or something but I'm not sure.
15 >>> I have observed the same thing. But in my case, I also disconnect the
16 >>> _cable_ from the computer to the enclosure when I am done ... and still
17 >>> the drive activity goes on. From that I conclude that it is the drive
18 >>> circuitry itself doing some kind of internal housekeeping, and there is
19 >>> no point in worrying about it because one would wait forever for it to
20 >>> end.
21 >> That's one thing that makes it unnervey. I'll put my hand around to the
22 >> back and feel those little bumps. I wait until I think it is done but
23 >> just as I'm about to power it off, it bumps again. It's so
24 >> unpredictable, I never know if it is done doing its thing or not. Just
25 >> like now, it's unmounted, did that during last reply, it hasn't did the
26 >> bump thingy while reading your reply or me typing mine in so far. Now
27 >> as soon as I reach around to turn it off, it'll likely do the bump thing
28 >> again. lol
29 > I suspect it is now reading your mind! Is this a case of AI?!
30 >
31 > LOL!
34 >> One thing is for sure tho, if you unplug the cable, whatever it is
35 >> doing, it's internal. Sort of hard for the puter to be doing something
36 >> when it isn't connected. That narrows the options down a lot. That's a
37 >> good piece of info there.
38 >>
39 >> Thanks.
40 >>
41 >> Dale
42 >>
43 >> :-) :-)
44 > In case you missed it in a previous post - have you compiled CONFIG_DM_ZONED
45 > in your kernel to see if its performance changes?
46 >
47 > https://zonedstorage.io/linux/config/
48 >
49 > It's behaviour may not change whatsoever, if the drive only has an internal
50 > (SMR firmware) data write mechanism. However, if the drive is exposing an I/O
51 > API to the OS, then you could well see a difference to how its data storage
52 > bumps, spins and shakes as it flushes its journal and goes about its garbage
53 > collection process when the Linux kernel 'talks' to it.
57 It seems that is not enabled in my kernel.
60 Symbol: DM_ZONED [=n]
63 It took some effort to find and enable everything to get that but I
64 finally found them all.  It seems three things has to be enabled in
65 order for that option to be visible.  Then after that, make wouldn't
66 work.  I checked the gcc settings, emerged libtool and checked on
67 everything else with no improvement.  Then I copied the .config file to
68 a safe spot and did a make clean.  When I copied the file back and ran
69 make again, it worked.  No clue on what was up with that.  You know my
70 luck tho.  ;-)
71
72 I'll try to reboot the new kernel in a bit.  It's building at the
73 moment.  Thanks for posting about this.  I did not see it in other
74 replies.  I thought it might be in Rich's but didn't see it.  The extra
75 nudge was helpful.
76
77 Dale
78