From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pay for a hardened VM image
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:06:22
1 On Mar 4, 2012 11:17 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > What are peoples opinions of ESXi? The guys I'm considering using are
5 perfect for everything else, but they only have experience with Microsoft
6 Hyper-V and ESXi. I don't think they have *any* experience with Xen on
7 Linux, but I dunno about XenServer (I'll find out)...
10 ESXi is good enough. It's a 'jack of all trades', runs everything Good
11 Enough™, but gets expensive in the long run. Plus, its hypervisor is
12 heavier than Hyper-V and Xen/XenServer, although not by much.
13
14 XenServer runs Linux guests extremely well; ever since 2.6.38 IIRC, all
15 paravirtual knobs are part of the kernel. This enables the highest
16 performance possible for a guest Linux VM. Windows performance is
17 acceptable; the PV drivers help a lot. It's not perfect, but still
18 acceptable by all measurements.
19
20 Hyper-V is still struggling to make Linux VMs run well; requisite drivers
21 for running Linux in paravirtual mode just recently got pulled into Linus's
22 tree. IMO, it won't be ready for production Linux VMs until 2013, or late
23 2012 at the earliest.
24
25 One 'trick' when making VMs under VMware: the VMXnet subsystem, although at
26 first sounds like it will be a boost to performance (paravirtual device),
27 is not really stable; I've heard lots of grief. Just provide a bog-standard
28 emulated e1000 for the guest VMs.