From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:31:55
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > [2] vi /var/lib/portage/world
4
5 What if I emerge -vC all I know I don't want.
6
7 All kde all gnome all xorg for example, before update world.
8
9 I was hoping to accomplish much the same thing by editing world. But
10 strangely I see only a few candidates to delete (marked with
11 asterisks):
12
13 /var/lib/portage/world:
14 app-admin/eselect
15 app-admin/sysklogd
16 app-editors/emacs
17 app-editors/vim
18 app-misc/screen
19 ** app-office/openoffice-bin
20 app-portage/eix
21 app-portage/gentoolkit
22 ** kde-base/kde
23 net-misc/dhcpcd
24 sys-apps/slocate
25 sys-boot/grub
26 sys-devel/gdb
27 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
28 ** www-client/seamonkey
29 ** x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
30 ** x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
31 ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
32 ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
33 ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vga
34 ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware
35
36 However eix -I shows a whole bunch of kde packages. Not to mention
37 piles of other stuff not mentioned in `world'.
38
39 Looks like emerge -vC ???, in conjunction with `2' would seriously cut
40 down the build time even if I didn't weed out everything on the first
41 pass.
42
43 Or will I likely hit a nightmare of dependency problems if I happen to
44 emerge -vC the wrong library or whatever.
45
46 I'm willing to chase down equery depends to a degree but not really
47 thoroughly. That would take most of the remainder of my lifetime.
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list