From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External USB drive
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 04:29:13
1 On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 23:43 -0400, Colleen Beamer wrote:
2
3 > However, my issue now is trying to get an external Iomega 250 gig usb
4 > hard drive to work.
5 >
6 > I've tried googling for information as well as looking in the archives.
7 > However, all the information is old. For instance, it tells me that usb
8 > peripherals are recognized ad scsi devices, which is true in for my zip
9 > drive, which is sda4.
10
11 yep, afaik.
12
13 > However, /dev appears to have changed and there
14 > are no longer multiple choices like sda1, etc.
15
16 really? Is there a filesystem on this device already? ie. is it
17 formatted? If not, then you will only see /dev/sda. When it's
18 formatted you will see /dev/sda[1..n] depending on how many partitions
19 are on it.
20
21 > Regardless, if I modify fstab to read /dev/usb and save the file, a
22 > window will pop up saying that an unmounted hard drive has been
23 > detected. However, if I try to mount it I'm told that /dev/usb is not a
24 > block device.
25
26 I don't think /dev/usb is the right device... unless you have some udev
27 rule setting up /dev/usb... I don't even have a /dev/usb!
28
29 So, if it's not formatted yet, then just run
30 fdisk /dev/sdx
31 to create a partition, then you should see /dev/sdx1
32
33 Also, you could provide udev and kernel versions.
34
35 HTH,
39 To do nothing is to be nothing.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list